The 5K and 10K presented by Positive Tracks will take place Saturday, October 17, 2015
The 10K will start at 7:30 am
The 5K will start at 8:00 am
*We work closely with local law enforcement to ensure the safety of all participants. We may post changes to these courses due to weather or other situations beyond our control. Thank you for your understanding.
Nutrition Tips for the Athlete
1. To make the most of every training session and prepare for the next, remember the 4 R’s of exercise recovery
2. Eating a 2:1 – 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein within 30-60 minutes of activity is ideal for rebuilding muscles and replenishing energy stores.
3. Although they are easy and promise big results, pre-made protein shakes contain excess amounts of protein that can actually slow rehydration and glycogen replenishment.
4. Try some of these snacks after your next training run or race for a good mix of carbohydrates and protein: 6 oz nonfat Greek yogurt with a piece of fruit, almond butter with whole grain crackers or bread, low-fat milk and a banana or a an energy bar made with whole food ingredients like nuts and dried fruit.
5. Think of every meal and snack throughout the day as a chance to fuel, improve and reinforce your athletic performance with a variety of nutrient dense whole foods.
6. Always practice your in-race fueling and hydration strategies prior to race day. Failing to find a system that works for you can lead to bonking or serious GI discomfort during your race.
7. For runs exceeding 75 minutes, runners should consider fueling with 30-60 grams of carbohydrates each hour.
8. Practicing pre-race nutrition is also key for optimal performance. Find a strategy you are comfortable with and stick with that on the morning of your race.
9. When training, avoid foods that provide empty calories such as candy, soda and other processed foods.
10. Take advantage of water stops during your race. A dehydrated athlete is at a greater risk for exhaustion and has less oxygen available to their muscles.
You can visit Hillary Pride, RD, LD at the Dempsey Challenge Hannaford booth in the Festival in the Park, as well as at the Lewiston or Brunswick Hannaford stores! Did you know Hannaford offers FREE nutrition services in over 50 stores? To find a Hannaford Dietitian near you and view a schedule of their monthly in-store events, visit hannaford.com/dietitians.