What is an IFE?
An IFE is an Independent Fundraising Event or initiative, organized by an individual or a team, aimed at raising money for The Patrick Dempsey Center for Cancer Hope & Healing through The Dempsey Challenge. All funds raised through an IFE are credited to one or more participant’s fundraising goal.
We are honored that many teams and individuals have a strong desire to help raise funds for The Patrick Dempsey Center for Cancer Hope & Healing through The Dempsey Challenge presented by Amgen. Please keep in mind Patrick Dempsey, The Patrick Dempsey Center for Cancer Hope & Healing, The Dempsey Challenge and Central Maine Medical Center do not endorse any products or services that are a part of your activity or event.
Can you give me some examples of Independent Fundraising Events?
Sure! A few examples include:
- Mother-Son Ball held the weekend of Mother’s Day
- Strut Your Mutt
- Battle of the Bands
- Karaoke Contest with “Idol” Style Judging
- Sports Tournament
- Art auction with donations from your local artist community
- Silent auction
- Yard sale, Bake sale, or Plant sale in your community
- Wine and Chocolate Tasting
- Restaurant Donation Night – This is a win-win! You drive in business on a particular night, they donate a percentage of the evening’s proceeds
- At work or school, charge for casual Fridays (or “Dempsey Denim Days”)
- Head-shaving Event
- Sell Friends of Mel Bracelets
- Bingo Night
- Bottle Drive
- Fashion show
- Host a dinner in your own home and have friends bring a cash donation
- CHECK OUT THE UPCOMING EVENTS
SUBMIT YOU OWN EVENT – We can help you spread the word to the public. Please fill out the IFE Submission Form.
We encourage you to diversify your Team fundraising initiatives so that it allows people with different schedules and preferences to participate.
How can I get the word out?
Create a flier or poster about your event using the IFE logo and post them at community centers, at work, and at local businesses. Be sure to also look over the Logo Use Style Guide (PDF file). Post the fliers or posters to social media sites such as facebook and twitter. If you enter your IFE info here: http://www.dempseychallenge.org/ife-submission we will post it on our website! Visit the Upcoming Events site under the fundraising tab to view upcoming IFE events and for additional fundraising opportunities.
Can we use The Dempsey Challenge logo to promote our IFE?
We have created a special logo for this purpose. Please do not use the official Dempsey Challenge logo for an IFE.
Can we promote our IFE on The Dempsey Challenge website?
How does the money get split by the team members?
This can work 3 different ways:
- All proceeds are split equally among all team members.
- All proceeds are split equally among team members who helped organize the event.
- If selling items, proceeds go to the individual who sold the products.
Who decides how it gets split?
The team decides how the proceeds get split but in the case of any controversy, the Team Captain makes the final decision.
How do we submit the proceeds from our IFE?
Use the Team Donation Worksheet (found under Fundraising>Documents) to divide the proceeds among team members and mail to the address listed on the form. Ideally, submit IFE proceeds by check. Credit card donations made online cannot be divided between individual team members.
Can I use your Tax ID Number when I receive an in kind donation for my IFE?
It’s interesting the way this works. You can’t actually use our EIN (or tax) # because we are not the ones receiving the donation. We call these types of events Independent Fundraising Events because they are being organized and conducted in every aspect by the participants – not us. We have no control of the monies coming in and going out and therefore need to be careful about how our tax exempt/non-profit number is used.