The Dempsey Challenge presented by Amgen is a run, walk and cycle fundraising experience for The Patrick Dempsey Center for Cancer Hope & Healing in Lewiston, Maine.
One-hundred percent of funds raised by Dempsey Challenge participants directly benefits the Dempsey Center, allowing us to provide free support, education and integrative medicine services to anyone impacted by cancer.
Comprised of various cycling distances (10, 25, 50, 70 and 100 miles), and a 5K (3.1 mile) and 10K (6.2 mile) run/walk, participants 18 and over are required to raise $150 (and encouraged to raise even more!) as they prepare for The Dempsey Challenge.
This weekend of hope and camaraderie integrates the passion and support of the cancer community with the hospitality of the Lewiston/Auburn community, while providing a rewarding experience and unprecedented value to all participants and partners.
More information on Patrick’s personal story and commitment, as well as services provided by the Dempsey Center, can be found by clicking the tabs above.
The Patrick Dempsey Center for Cancer Hope & Healing provides free support, education and integrative medicine services to anyone impacted by cancer.
Since our doors opened in 2008, the Dempsey Center’s contacts have increased consistently, demonstrating the need for our services.
In September 2012, the Center moved to a new location at 29 Lowell Street, Lewiston, to better accommodate the needs of those we serve in a more comfortable, private space.
The Dempsey Center’s warm, inviting environment includes a cancer resource center and lending library, integrative medicine rooms, Healing Garden, private consult rooms, health and fitness room, wig room, demo kitchen, and dedicated space for cancer support group meetings and educational programs.
The Dempsey Center Offers:
- Integrative medicine: massage, Reiki, yoga, Tai Chi
- Mindfulness Meditation ongoing series
- Toll-free cancer assistance line: 1-877-336-7287
- Dedicated oncology social workers
- Financial resource counseling
- Nutrition counseling
- Nutrition for Life series
- Community cancer-related health outreach and education
- Professionally facilitated cancer and caregiver support groups
- Educational workshops on a variety of cancer and wellness-related topics
- Patient Navigation
- The Healing Tree Children’s Program which offers support, education and wellness services for children, adolescents and families impacted by cancer.
- Space to Breathe adolescent outdoor adventure program
- Interactive website and social media
- A cancer resource Lending Library including books, periodicals and DVDs
Funds raised through the 2012 Dempsey Challenge will fund the expansion of our nutrition program; meet the growing demand for massage therapy services; help us develop a distance learning initiative to make our programs available anywhere; and allow us to continue to build our resources and lending library, the most extensive collection of comprehensive cancer and integrative medicine resources in Central Maine. And as always, funds raised by Challenge participants keep all of our services available at no cost to anyone impacted by cancer.
The Dempsey Center is able to provide free services to anyone impacted by cancer thanks to funds raised via the annual Dempsey Challenge, corporate sponsors, foundations and grants, and individual donations. To learn more about how you can contribute to the Dempsey Center, please visit dempseycenter.org/ways-to-give.
To learn more about Dempsey Center programs and services, please visit www.dempseycenter.org.
- 2013 Post-Event Summary 2012 Post-Event Summary 2011 Post-Event Summary 2010 Post-Event Summary
- Register Now
- Event Info
- Festival in the Park
- Positive Tracks
- 2014 Teams